Monday 28 February 2011

Magpie Monday - When I am an old woman I shall wear purple...

It's Magpie Monday again folks.

Last week was the biggest ever with more people linking up than before, and I was so so happy to share all your treasure with you. A huge thank you to you all for your support and enthusiasm.

I said initially when I launched this feature that I'd trial it for a month to see if there was any interest.  This is my fourth week and I'm really pleased to declare it a permanent feature on the blog - hurrah!

I'm afraid being confined to the house with chicken-poxy child has meant slim pickings this week.  By Friday I was getting a bit jittery through lack of fresh air and charity shopping so we braved a trip to town.

I visited only one shop, but it proved a veritable trove of treasure.

In a side window, up a very quiet alley-way, I spotted a lovely display and ended up buying half it's contents.  So secret was this window that the volunteer serving didn't even know of it's existence and had to call for help from the manager to obtain a key.

I checked the size of some purple suede killer heels and they were a fit!  Better still, a closer examination told me they were completely unworn. An absolute steal at £3.99.



Not my usual style of shoes, and they do look a bit tortuous, but despite my Marcos-esque collection of footwear I actually own very few pairs of 'proper evening heels'.  I have a purple evening dress that these will match with perfectly (pah! Like I ever go anywhere to wear an evening gown anymore!).

Displayed with the shoes in the poor neglected window, was a gorgeous silk scarf. With hand rolled and stitched edges, and a gorgeous bold design on the bright cerise pink I snapped it up at £2.49.



I doubt I'll wear it, but I'm thinking of framing it, or even getting some of those clippy curtain rings and using it as a cafe curtain somewhere.

Finally, on the bric-a-brac shelf I spotted this old beer bottle for £3.  I have several old bottles dotted around the house, including some I've dug up from the garden.  But this one appealed because it has the name of a long since gone local brewery.


The writing reads Wells and Winch Ltd, Biggleswade.  Some research told me that this brewery was finally swallowed up by Greene King in the 1960's, but traded in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire from 1899.  I love the fact that purchasing something from a charity shop has sent me on a journey of discovery. I've learned a little bit of local history and also found a gorgeous looking bistro which we plan to visit, as the old Malting where this brewery was based is now trading as The Lounge - a coffee house, bistro and film club.



I'd love you to link-up your finds. Maybe something you've found has taken you on a journey, or taught you something new?  Please grab the badge below and link up a blog post, or feel free to share on twitter with the #magpiemonday tag or post on the facebook page.


Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



29 comments:

  1. Fabulous scarf - gorgeous colour. Your bottle reminds me that we've got some of those in the loft (yet another collection), must dig them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That scarf is lovely! and would look beautiful framed (what a fabulous idea that i will steal) Happy to link up my blog and thrilled that this will be a permanent feature! Thank you! Looking forward to seeing everyone's 'finds'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both - the picture of the scarf didn't come out too well, but it is really lovely. Just off to read yours now, thanks for linking up x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh fab items love the scarf would look gorgeous framed or made into a cushion!
    Once again my plans for a shopping trip went out the window due to having a sick child so will have a look later for summit old to post up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are the queen of Magpie Monday - great finds!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wicked shoes - I also bought charity shop shoes this weekend (will do a post soon) but mine were a bit pricier at £20! However, they are Versace - eek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shoes! They're fabulous. I never manage to find anything in my size, same as the sales, my feet are just too average.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased to hear this will be a permanent feature!! I love it! Will have to show you my purple shoes one week, another bargain! I love the bottle and how it opened up a whole story, isn't that the beauty of pre owned!
    @snugglefeet03

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the scarf, would def frame it. I have several framed scarves, they make really interesting pictures but keep it out of direct sunlight or it will fade : ( Previous experience taught me that one.
    I love researching the items I find too. I have learnt so much since I started my collection.
    Woop! for Mgpie Monday xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your lovely comments. I feel all warm and glowing :0) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving those shoes and of course the scarf!

    Well Done Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely finds, the scarf is beautiful, I also love old bottles, and the historical stories that come from them, maybe I'll put mine on soon :)

    thank-you for the chance to link up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Liz, really loving Magpie Monday. My love of vintage and preowned is only getting bigger because of it, and for that i would like to thank you! Even to the point I would like to blog, as what I would like to say...just doesn't fit into a tweet.
    Great finds....love the story of the local brewery.
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh LOVE the shooooes, I have a thing for purple, just got some purple boots. I am a big fan of your magpie mondays, and this week i have done my own..whoop! nice to be part of it XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for all your lovely comments.

    Amanda, I'm thrilled with yours! Bless you xx

    Icklebabe thank you, so glad you've been enjoying it, I'm off for a peep at your post - welcome aboard! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to agree with Amanda! I've actually visited more charity shops just because of Magpie Monday! Ours wasn't open this morning but they had a whole play kitchen in the window! wonder if it will be gone later?

    Great finds yet again!! Loving those shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what have I started!!!

    Hope you get the play kitchen - I'd be camped on the doorstep!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow those shoes are gorgeous! I'm still yet to find anything that has caught my eye. I am so dying to join in, I might have a sneaky peek on ebay later x

    ReplyDelete
  19. That scarf is beautiful! Must remember to dig out some of the 'map' scarves I've got from charity shops, and show them off on a Magpie Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would not be able to walk in those shoes so glad you bought them as I would not have resisted such a lovely shade or purple. I love purple! The scarf is divine and needs to either go out in the world or you have to have a party for all us Magpies so we can see it up close.
    I love your bottle story how a simple purchase led to so many things. Love your bottle too my dear and thanks for keeping Magpie Monday permanent.
    My charity shop finds this week did involve a journey over at http://gigglingatitall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your finds this week...Especially that scarf. It would look great as a head scarf...60's style with a black outfit...Gorgeous colour!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad that magpie Monday is now a permanent fixture. Very jealous of you finding shoes, there never seems to be size 7s where I look!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am happy to have found your link up. While I did get out this weekend (finally) I do not have photos yet, so I will be linking up next week.
    What I am going to do today is revise my quick post for today and help spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Dogsmom, please do!!! Thanks for spreading the word. Are you in the US? You may be the first international #magpie. Yay! We're going global :0)

    Make Do Mum, I have very average size 5 feet, so was surprised to find these. I did spot several pairs of bright red stillettos this week in a size 11! I think I should have bought them - they'd have made a fortune on eBay in the men's section ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brilliant bargains - I love the scarf espcecially. I'd probably frame it if I were you x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I love Magpie Monday. This is a fantastic link! Your pink scarf is beautiful, I love the embroidery on it, I have found some embroidery transfers this week as well. x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous, what fun! As a constant charity shop rummager, make-do-and-mender and bag lady pas excellence, I am certain to fit right in here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Finally a place where I am amongst like-minded hoarders :)

    ReplyDelete