Tuesday 31 July 2012

Pimp my Pumps!

If you're looking for a creative activity to do over the summer, then I can wholeheartedly recommend pimping your pumps!

I reckon it would be great for kids to do with their mates on a play date, or even as a unique party activity - instead of the ubiquitous party bag, they could take home their own individual hand-crafted shoes!  Course, you'd have to get their shoes sizes first, but just ask it on the invite - simple really.



You will need:

A plain pair of pumps (mine cost £2.50 from Primark)
DYLON 3D paints (choose from Puff; Pearl or Glossy)
An apron to protect clothing


At only 4 years old, Ruby did get a little frustrated with herself to start with.  The application of the paint requires the right amount of squeezing of the bottle whilst drawing - a bit like icing a cake.  Older children will have no problem with this, and Ruby did get the hang of it after watching me.



I kept my design simple, following the lines of the stitching, then adding some dots.  I love the 3D effect of these paints - the dots look like little jeweled studs.



Ruby is still at the ages where 'more is more' so her design is a little...err...freer!



She loves her ones better than my attempt though and has proudly gone off to nursery wearing them today.  Who says the left and the right shoe need to match?!



How would you pimp yours?

Disclosure: for information please see my disclosure page.

Linking up with Ta-Dah Tuesday! and Kids Get Crafty

26 comments:

  1. Cute! Some Olympic themed ones would be good for the boys. You should link up with #tadahtueday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah!! Forgot it was Tuesday! Thanks my dear, I shall x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish my OCD would allow me to be as free as a child as far as design goes, this is a great idea, we have some fabric paints etc somewhere, may well give this a go! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh if only I could be that care-free too!

      Hope you give it a try - would love to see your OCD ones x

      Delete
  4. A fun activity that needn't cost a lot of money either. The kids are pleased too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe! How cute. THis is fun to do for sure during parties and kids would have such a kick at designing their own shoes. How clever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adin. I think I'd love a party where you get to do this! x

      Delete
  6. Lovely idea for the holidays! I guess you could do clothes too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, works on any fabric. Great for Tshirts (we did one here http://missielizzie-meandmyshadow.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/t-shirt-painting-with-dylon-my-mini.html) and bags etc. x

      Delete
  7. They are fab! I'm tempted to do that with my wellies as it looks like I'll be living in them...again! How fab to meet Ms Proud! I had a sewing class with Eithne Farry and that was ace! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh I bet they'd be cool on wellies!! The rubbery effect would go so well. x

      Delete
  8. What a brilliant idea. She looks so proud whixh is the best part x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so excited to wear them to nursery! x

      Delete
  9. Ah so cute! I love a bit of customising, especially cool that kids can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant idea - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So fun! I remember painting my shoes with puffy paint when I was a little girl. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful idea, this really would make a great party activity. I might have to borrow this one and my goodness how much has Ruby grown up since the spring? She looks about 6 sitting on the sofa there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona.

      I can't believe it either. She's starting school next month too, suddenly she's all grown up :0(

      Delete
  13. Aaah she looks well pleased! Adorable. Great project!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a fun thing to do and a great idea re the kids party. Butterfly (my dd) has a party next month and would love to do something like this!
    love Bohomumma
    www.julieslittlejoys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete