Thursday 19 July 2012

Matalan's Yummy Mummys

So, I agreed to take part in Matalan's monthly style challenge.  If I'm totally honest, I didn't really know what I was getting myself into, but it sounded fun - find yourself a outfit for £50 or less.

The chance to shop for myself, without looking at kid's clothes is a luxury in itself, and it was glorious just mooching about the aisles of grown up clothes, unhindered by demands for Hello Kitty drinking bottles or hair slides.

I did find it a bit tricky to compile a whole outfit.  I'm not sure if it's just my local branch, but there didn't seem to be anything in my size.  There were some really, really beautiful clothes, but not for me.  I think next time I'll shop online.

At Britmums Live I had been coveting Eliza Do Lots shoes, so was keen to find a pair of them.  They do them in a beautiful blue but sadly the only on in my size was...the left one!  We hunted high and low for the right one and I even got an assistant to help, but to no avail.  It remains a mystery.

Anyhow, I am pretty happy with the outfit I came up with.  The brief was for a 'summer day out'.  As they don't do flippers and wetsuits, I went for trousers.  To me a summer day out is a BBQ at friends, a lazy sunday pub lunch or a trip to the park (although admittedly I might ditch the towering shoes for that).



I've not worn coloured denim before, but I LOVE these skinny jeans.  So much so that I've since logged on and bought two more pairs in their sale - in on-trend sorbet colours, one lilac and one pink. Check them out - from £8 in their sale!!

I found that the sizes do come up on the small size - it doesn't do much for the ego to find you have to buy a size bigger, but just so-as you know if you're ordering online.

My challenge was further hindered by discovering most of what I bought wasn't in their online shop, so I can't show you - I swear, my local store must exist in it's own parallel universe. One complete with one-legged shoplifters.

Anyhow, what do you think?  Whole outfit including shoes, scarf and necklace for less than £50.  Not bad eh?  I'll try to show you what I bought, or close as I can to it in their online store.



Yellow striped T cost me £4 in store, similar available online for £2 (the same design as mine but in green is here for £3).


The blue skinny jeans cost me £16.  They no longer seem to be available online, but you can get them in other colours currently at half price of £8.

Again, the scarf isn't on the site, but this cost me £5 and the necklace £5.


Finally, the shoes. LOVE the shoes, even though they weren't my first choice.  These cost me £18 but you can grab em at only £9.

If you like my choice, please pop over and vote for me - just write 'Me and My Shadow' in the comment section on the Matalan blog



Ta very muchly, and good luck to the other gorgeous bloggers who are taking part - I think we all rock!

11 comments:

  1. Wow you look amazing- great outfit and loving the shoes- must admit I've never considered Matalan before, but with prices like that and proof that it can look good it's worth a snoop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. They are great value for money anyway, but their half price sale is amazing!

      Delete
  2. You look amazing then again you always do what ever you wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Claire - you wouldn't say that if you could see me right now!

      Delete
  3. I love your outfit Liz! And I genuinely have shoe envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love the shoes too. I ca kiss the other half without having to go on tiptoes!

      Delete
  4. You look HOT! It's hard to believe that the clothes pictured are those that you are modelling - I'd never have picked them out (apart from the shoes maybe) but you make them look a million dollars. Matalan here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh thanks Molly!!

    I'm in love with coloured jeans now, think I'll have to get the whole rainbow! xx

    ReplyDelete