Sunday 1 July 2012

Magpie Monday - Brightening my day

I really wasn't expecting to find any second-hand goodies this week.


I've been so busy, rushing backwards and forwards, and this weekend the Old Man tried desperately to recapture his youth by heading up to Manchester to see the Stone Roses.


Leaving us home alone, we headed out on Saturday to Harpenden to see a kids show at the theatre (can't help thinking I drew the short straw here...)


Anyway, en route from the station to the venue, there are several charity shops.  It being the most expensive town in the UK to live (I read that somewhere, not sure if it's true) they do have rather good chazza shops.


The first one yeilded loads of children's books and toys, and helpfully they agreed to hold on to them for us to collect on our way home.


Heading back after the show, we returned to pick up our purchases and I spotted a beautiful pair of large glass lanterns in the window.


I probably paid a little more than I should, but it was too late - I'd already fallen in love.  £15 for the 2, what do you reckon? Including the candles!








If you've bought anything second-hand please do grab the badge and link up - lets show everyone that there is an alternative to buying new x 


Grab my button and link back to this post
Me and My Shadow



30 comments:

  1. I think I'd have been fairly tempted too!! Got to love chipped paint on a lovely lantern!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem - just got to home my daughter doesn't kick a football at them now. Chipped paint is chic - smashed glass isn't!

      Delete
  2. they are pretty so..... I think I'd have succumbed too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you know me. Sucker for white and chipped paint. I would have moaned and groaned but would def have had to have them.

    Gorgeous photos xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. x

      You've gotta pay for quality sometimes!

      Delete
  4. love the thread! Sarah and I are bargain hunters in Cheshire and as a result we set up Saretro - giving preloved bargains a new lease of life. We are particular fans of picnics as you can see on our Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sara.

      I love your picnic sets too. Glad to have found each other!

      Do you buy too? I have a couple of 70s orange picnic sets in the garage I've been meaning to eBay for ages. Actually, I think I have 2 of the stacking plastic ones and a retro coolbox!

      Delete
  5. Yep, and me! They are beauty!
    I'd rather go charity shopping than Stone Roses- think you did pretty well out of that!

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhh! Me too!

      We're so rock n roll aren't we?

      Delete
  6. Hey! Get off my land! Harpenden is my turf! ;)

    The lamps are gorgeous and sometimes it's worth paying a little more for something really beautiful. I can just imagine a beach house in the Hamptons having the same ones for way more money. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I challenge you to a Harpo Chazza-off! x

      Delete
  7. I love them, I would have wanted those too! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I actually heard them calling my name ;0)

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's happened to me before! ;-D

      Delete
  8. Beautiful lanterns, id have wanted them too as i love buying them!
    Aqeela xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The first word that popped into my mind when I saw the lanterns was charming. Glad you decided to purchase them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the lamps think i would of easily spent that on them aswell ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those lanterns are fantastic! I would not resist them either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, they are rather aren't they? x

      Delete
  12. The lamps are great, I would have snapped them up for that price too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, so pleased everyone likes them x

      Delete
  13. Great lamps - and they'll outlast a night out as well!

    Great to find a whole group of second hand lovers - I discovered you via the grand old Lulastic blog!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true.

      Great to meet you Vicky, a warm welcome to Magpie Monday x

      Delete
  14. Ah they are lovely, we just need some decent weather now so you can have them lit outside *does a sun dance*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! I've visited your blog before, but forgot to follow or bookmark it - so glad I found it again, and I'm a follower now, so I'll be back often. Love the lanterns - it's great to see what kinds of treasures people find in other places - I'm in the american midwest, and don't recall ever seeing anything like them. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete