Monday 6 August 2012

Magpie Monday - Knitting Novice

This week my charity shopping again seemed to follow a theme.  I don't know why this happens, but it often does.  It's like some strange magnetic force that draws me to similar items, or things that match.  Is it just me?

Anyhow, I was happy with these lovely mohair balls of wool, in tonal blue shades.  My knitting skills are remedial to say the least, but I'll be happy making pompoms in these colours, maybe for another poncho or a wreath.



I did a happy dance at finding these wooden knitting needles too.  I know, I know, I said I can't knit, but I have a bit of a thing for old wooden needles and always seek them out.  I find them things of beauty and have a huge vase of them on display. I love to think of the hands that have worked them and all the precious garments that have been made with them.


You generally have to ask for knitting needles in second-hand shops.  They're oft hidden under the counter like some kind of charity shop p orn.

Finally, I picked up this great DK kid's needlecraft book.  I say 'kid's', but I think it's about my level in the knitting department so maybe I can graduate beyond pom-poms after all.


Is there anything so smug as the face of a tween knitter?  I think not.


Did you get any second-hand bargains this week?  Grab the badge and link up. x

Me and My Shadow




26 comments:

  1. I have some bamboo and some wooden knitting needles - they're the ones I choose to use above plastic or metal ( I have dozens of pairs of knitting needles, a lot of which were inherited). The colours of the wool look great together - a scarf or a cushion cover perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet. I think a scarf may just about be within my limits, although probably not with this wool - it's kinda itchy. I may just keep it to look pretty!

      Delete
  2. Love those chunky needles! I got some wooden needles ths week too!! Those lovely blues look gorgeous too -)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colours! Although if you're a novice knitter, you may want to start with some smoother yarn before trying to knit with the mohair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Ruth, best learn to crawl before I walk! x

      Delete
  4. Lol at tween knitter smuggery - the insufferable little show-offs! I have a gazillion pairs of knitting needles from my gran but they're mostly unattractive and merely vicious as opposed to decorative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds - I'm laughing at your smug tween comment!!
    I learnt to knit using a children's book from the library and then caught the bug and progressed. Youtube is the best way to learn new stitches and techniques, I find - something about seeing it in motion makes me understand it better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to find some youtube action of left-handed knitting basics x

      Delete
  6. I think your jealous because that teen knitter is so expert! Lovely to link up - long overdue!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you're right!

      Lovely to have you back Becky x

      Delete
  7. Is there anything so smug as a tween knitter? Only me when I remember how to cast on all by myself!
    Love your wooden needles, I think I need to start a collection now...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I often end up with a theme in the items I thrift in a week... or else a bunch of different bloggers will all find the same things around the same time. It's kind of eerie how it happens!
    I'm a terrible knitter, but I always wish I actually had the time and motivation to really learn. One of my best friends just started knitting a couple years ago, and now she makes the most amazing things, so I think there's hope for anyone who sets their mind to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh there may be hope for me yet then. Thanks x

      Delete
  9. Oh I wish I could knit! When it comes to wool I am a wally!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was that smug tween knitter, once upon a time, in my self-knitted tank top and seventies flares (I didn't knit the flares, oh no, they were brown corduroy, classy!) Hey, I'm back to Magpie Monday - did you miss me?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I collect wool & I can't knit! Will have to pass my collection on to you if you turn pro..... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just off to show this comment to my OH who thinks I'm insane. Ha!

      Delete
  12. Real knitting is so beyond my abilities that the only comment I can intelligently make is that the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only ever knitted scarves, I too have a collection of knitting needles (although yours are gorgeous), would love to be able to whip up a cosy cardigan or such like but I think crochet is my limit in the wool craft arena, I look forward to seeing your mad knitting skillz develop, good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I picked up a whole set of needles some months ago to try and start learning how to knit...now I'm re-inspired! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! Been meaning to join in with this for a while, hope I'm not crashing! Do you crochet? I can't knit for toffee but I think crochet is ace.

    ReplyDelete