Friday 17 August 2012

Olympic Street Art

Yesterday myself and the lovely Maggy from Red Ted Art, together with our girls went on an adventure exploring the street art of London.

Specifically, we were on a Banksy hunt (much, much more of that to come) and whilst we found many, we didn't spot two of his latest creations marking the London 2012 Olympics.



Both images (Going for Mould - top and Hackney welcomes the Olympics - bottom) are courtesy of http://www.banksy.co.uk

In this age of social media quite how these two enormous pieces still manage to hide their location is a mystery, but as yet, nobody seems to know where they are.

We did however, spot some Olympic street art by other artists - both official and unofficial!


This huge board by Chilean street artist Otto Schade (Osch) can be found at the rear of the Truman brewery off Brick Lane, London.

You can feel the energy and power of the cyclist and gymnast through the sinewy detail and the blood pumping through their veins and organs.


This one is on the wall opposite, and I raised a smile at the dirty protest of artist unknown.


Then of course, there's the official street art, in the form of decorated Wenlocks, dotted around Brick Lane.  The girls had lots of fun spotting these.  They reminded me of the elephant parades - I just hope Ruby doesn't want us to try and recreate these!





So, which gets your vote - the authorised or the unauthorised?

Check out Maggy's fabulous post featuring lots of Banksy.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

 

19 comments:

  1. i love banksy! i was gutted when i couldn't get to his exhibition back in 2009, but i was pregnant at the time, and the thought of the que put me off. i love all the street art, when im next in London, i want to try and find more of it, just think its all fab. great pics! love the wenlocks, i think hes really cute, most people think hes odd (including my mom) but i like both the mascots, and pride the lion of course :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leopard Print Mommy!

    I love street art too, there'll be more Banksy on the blog soon. East London round Brick Lane and Shoreditch is amazing.

    Oh, and my daughter's a little bit in love with Wenlock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you were quick off the mark! A post up already! Love it! And weren't the girl's cute!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it makes a change for me to be punctual Maggy!!

      And yes, the girls were adorable - Ruby's still chattering away about Pip Squeak!

      Delete
  4. ChrisTea And Cakes17 August, 2012 21:33

    I too love Banksy, not sure whether it's treasonous or not but I'm dragging my man to the Mr Brainwash exhibition at The Old sorting Office as a surprise birthday treat.

    Looks like you had a great day! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes, I've read about that, it sounds awesome. And considerably less walking too!

      Do you know when it's on til?

      Delete
  5. Some really great ones there and a nice way to spend time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time exploring and hunting. x

      Delete
  6. wow, they're all great! but the Banksy ones get my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw me too! You can't beat a bit of Banksy, so clever!

      Delete
  7. That one from Brick Lane will be walking distance of my sister's house! It is also my favourite as I love the gymnastics. A great idea for an urban walk to inspire the kids with our lovely city. Thank you for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The street art around Brick Lane is so awesome. It looks like such a vibrant place to live.

      Delete
  8. Street art is great. You can miss so much in the streets of your own town if you don't open your eyes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Susan. Sometimes it's so refreshing to actually look around you properly. Looking up as well as down at your feet!

      Delete
  9. We have a great Banksy near us - Jubilee-ish and crafty, I think - http://the-gingerbread-house.co.uk/2012/05/18/banksy-with-bunting-in-wood-green-high-road/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh yes Jenny, we snapped that one too! Is it near you? How exciting. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unauthorised every time! Those sinewy pictures are astounding, really detailed and effective. I like the Wenlocks because I also loved Cow Parade which we saw in Prague years ago.

    Popping over from Country Kids

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Otto Schade and Banksy's art. You'd have fun in Bristol too. Lots of great pieces by Banksy around the entire city x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love the green one. I wish we had time to see more and keep looking for the bansky. I love art, street art especially, it is a great way to engage children

    ReplyDelete