Monday 20 August 2012

Kid's Craft - How to make Pirate treasure




Ruby is lately getting a little obsessed with pirates - X marks the spot and treasure maps and all that, so I thought it would be cute to make our own pirate treasure.

It's a simple craft, and Ruby managed most of the steps herself.

You'll need:

Card (or flat plastic from packaging)
PVA glue
Gold or silver acrylic paint
Black ink or shoe polish

Begin by drawing circles for your coin shapes.  Find something of suitable size to draw around, then cut out.


Once you've cut out your circles, draw some basic shapes on.  I just used circles and crosses.


Then using the PVA glue, draw over the detail.  You want to create a raised effect, and this is where using plastic can be better than card, which sometimes soaks up the glue.  If this is the case, you may need to allow to dry and go over again.  You can also use the squirty glitter glue pens for this as they give a good relief texture.


Leave to dry thoroughly, then pain front and back with metallic paint.


Finally, 'age' your treasure by rubbing on a little black ink or shoe polish and buffing.


Shiver me timbers, you're all done!


Linking up with The Boy and Me's Pirate Linky and Red Ted Art and Coombe Mill's Trash to Treasure





21 comments:

  1. Ooooh these look fab!! Thanks for showing how to make them xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I LIKEY!!! I especially like the relief idea. Brilliant!

    Thank you for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!!

    Maggy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, a great project for kids to do, helps keep them occupied, always a good thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep you're right, always good to keep them out of mischief!

      Delete
  4. They look fantastic! I am soooo doing this with The Boy.

    Thanks for linking up

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great !!
    Excuse me but I'm french (and a little stupid ? :D ) and I don't know what PVA stands for in PVA glue. Could you help me ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charivari,

      Thanks for your comment. I've tried to look up what PVA is known as in France, but can't find an answer! Basically it's white liquid (gloopy) glue - often used in schools as it is washable and safe. You may find it in DIY shops as wood glue. Hope that helps. x

      Delete
  6. These are great, going to make these with the boys x

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are really cool. I'm doing a pirate themed party for Goblin in October, I could scatter some of these on the tables. Thanks for a great idea, I'm pining this to my pirate board so i don't forget it

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great activity. It would work for The Romans topic too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fab, thanks for sharing. I'm going to use this idea with my class to make coins linking to our Money Week maths topic and our RME focus on the parable of the lost coin. Can't wait to try it out with them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What do you mean flat plastic used for packaging?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This beats my pirate treasure. I just wrapped foil round the card and etched the design into this. quick and simple but not the raised effect you have here which looks amazing. I love the ageing too.

    Thank you for sharing and linking up with #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh great idea, perfect for a pirate party! #trash2treasure

    ReplyDelete
  13. A disconnected printer error can likewise disapprove of the printer in error state software or driver. This can differ contingent upon the utilization of your printer and whether or not you have introduced refreshes. The printer investigating apparatus works with a wide scope of printers, including Canon, Brother, Epson, HP, and many others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. Do you think hot glue (adults only) could have same effect? Thanks Linda

    ReplyDelete