Monday 10 March 2014

Magpie Monday - Safe as Houses


It's been another hectic weekend with a trip to London and ferrying madam to birthday parties.  No chance to get to the boot sale which was a shame because the weather was glorious.

Instead, I'm going to show you an item I bought a couple of years ago on eBay.

Is it a safe?  Is it a coffee table?

Hamilton & Co's Patent Eccentric Lever Lock Safe

Well, to me it's both!  And I love it.  It may be a pretty unusual piece of living room furniture, but as soon as I saw it I knew it would make a great side table in our living room.  The added bonus being we can lock away all our valuable gold ingots and diamonds passports and boring but important paperwork.

Hamilton & Co's Patent Eccentric Lever Lock Safe

I think we paid about £30 for it.  The Old Man drove off to collect it in the car, and was very surprised at how heavy and difficult to manoeuvre it was - um totally missed the point there love, safes aren't exactly designed to be picked up and loaded into the back of a boot now are they?

Anyway, we eventually got it home, I gave it a clean up and sprayed it with Rustoleum as it was looking a bit too tatty for the living room.  A polish of the plate and door knob with some Brasso and I think it looks pretty darned good.  It's certainly a talking point when visitors come round!

Hamilton & Co's Patent Eccentric Lever Lock Safe

The plate reads:

Hamilton & Co's Patent Eccentric Lever Lock
Makers to the Royal Mint, London

I have no idea how old it is, or where it originally came from, but I'd love to find out.

Do you have anything in use in your home that was once something else?  Have you picked up any second-hand treasure lately?

I'd love you to grab the badge and link up.
      


25 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I LOVE this! And love the way you use it, very clever missus!

    I once found an old safe in the cellar of my old pub, we spent weeks trying to open it before giving up. It still bugs me that I'll never know what was inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea ! and ha! to your poor hubby having to try and pick it up and put it in the boot !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great old safe! And everything in my house is old or vintage (including the occupants)! As for repurposed, that is debatable. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love it, its looks so cool Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's absolutely gorgeous Liz, and looks fan in situ. Bet it adds an element of excitement for your guests, wondering what you have locked inside (my mind is already boggling ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the brass details on the safe! Works perfectly as a side table.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would look so good in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH I need one of those in my life! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's gorgeous! I hope it doesn't crash through your floorboards! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, When you said you bought it on e-bay my first thought was how much would it cost to post that! Collection makes much more sense!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love it, it's so pretty and I love that the plate isn't perfect, but looks like it's got a story to tell of all the people who have stored their little secrets away in the safe...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it - and the bowl on the top really caught my eye too. I bet a bit of research would find out some origins - or maybe not knowing the history makes it even more special?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh! Absolutely love this, is looks so good, and it's always fab to have such an interesting conversation piece. Very pretty, missus xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the safe/table. I would totally use it in my house and not only is it a conversation piece but is very useful. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! And it looks gorgeous with those other pieces of furniture too. Not surprised it's a talking point in the room. I love old, unique pieces of furniture like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. now that's a find that commands respect! it makes a great side table. the makers badge is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That safe is ace ! I saw one on a Kevin Cloud program converted into a safe

    ReplyDelete
  18. I mean converted in a working fire ! ps I need tea or gin or both

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, what an AMAZING find. I would be over the moon to find something like this on my travels! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ordered a term paper on the Internet for the first time, before that I criticized my acquaintances who constantly ordered essays, term papers, control papers at essayprofessor reviews because I believed that all these orders were through Internet fraud! Fortunately I was mistaken))

    ReplyDelete
  21. Recently, a friend of mine recommended this custom writing services to me. I often use it for my university studies. This is a very cool place where I can get everything for my studies.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your words of interest in this article almost match my own thoughts. This article is really

    commendable. I liked this post very much. Thank you very much for sharing such posts.

    Skip Hire Leicester

    ReplyDelete
  23. I finally found great post here. Thanks for the information. Please keep sharing more articles. 바카라사이트비즈

    ReplyDelete