Thursday 6 March 2014

Chocolate Guinness Cake Pops - Celebrate St Patrick's Day



I confess, I've never made a cake pop in my life before (although I've eaten a fair few!).  I was inspired by A Mummy Too's post last week with a brilliant tutorial - that and the rising panic when I realised I'd promised Ruby cake pops for her party bags next week.  So it was time for a trial run.

Flicking through Nigella's Feast recipe book (one of my all time favourites), I stumbled upon her recipe for Chocolate Guinness Cake, so decided to give that a whirl for St Patrick's Day.

The cake came out incredibly well, I was so chuffed with it.  Rich, dense and moist, almost like a fudge cake, but with the iron rich twang of the black stuff.

It was so moist and dense, it molded perfectly in my hands to form cake balls, without the need to add and frosting at all.




I would suggest halving the quantities Nigella uses - it makes a beast of a cake.  About one quarter of it made me 9 cake pops!  So here it is, roughly halved, just use a smaller cake tin say around 7 inches. I'd also add that I had no sour cream, so instead I used a combination of milk and cream cheese, and it seemed to work well.


Cake Ingredients:

125 ml Guinness
125g  unsalted butter
35g cocoa powder
200g caster sugar
75 ml sour cream
1 large egg
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
160g plain flour
1 large teaspoon bicarb of soda

Decorating Ingredients & Equipment:

1 pack green candy melts (available in baking stores, hobby shops or online)
20 cake pop sticks
green sprinkles (I found shamrocks on ebay)

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C/350ºF, and butter and line a 23cm / 9 inch springform tin.
2. Pour the Guinness into a large saucepan, add the butter in cubes and heat until the butter's melted. Then whisk in the cocoa and sugar. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the buttery beer and finally whisk in the flour and bicarb.
3. Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.

      
     Head over to Emily's blog for full details on how to make up the cake pops from here if you haven't made them before, but remember, you won't need frosting with this cake.


Keynko A Crafty Family

and featured on Fun Crafts Kids 

15 comments:

  1. Perfect Leprechaun nibbles. How 'lucky' that you didn't need to add frosting to hold them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these look and sound AMAZING!!! I WANT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooo, you have just reminded me to get an anniversary card! i got married on st. patricks day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these and I've heard Guinness is amazing in cake x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh these are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These do look yummy and the bonus is if I make them OH can't eat them because of his gluten intolerance - so they are on my list to make! More for me!!! thank you for joining in the link up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome! I have had to share!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm rather partial to the black stuff, particularly in Champage, but I could add a bit of that couldn't I? Great idea for St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look amazing Liz, my little Irish leprechaun self is salivating ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspiring I have never made cake pops either! off to visit Emily's blog - thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. they look amazing, I do love to make cake pops and that recipe looks so good also x

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look delicious and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so awesome and I'm so glad our method was of use :D Thanks for joining in with #recipeoftheweek. I've Pinned and Tweeted this post and there's a fresh linky live now. You might have already popped over but if not, please do!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At the point when my Mom made that exemplary Irish dish each year growing up, I had to eat it, so I am not a major fan as a grown-up. I was likewise not a devotee of bangers and Cargo Service in Dubai crush (frankfurter and pureed potatoes) for a comparative explanation. While my DNA may have an enormous level of Irish in it, my taste buds have completely accepted my blended American roots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The jackets that we sell are replicas of the coats worn by top television celebrities because it is a growing trend to copy them when it comes to fashion. These celebrities have really become the trendsetters. This leisure was hitherto in reach of only the rich and the rest could only dream about it. But now these jackets are available for all people who want to buy them because of our affordable prices. So we welcome you to come and buy celebrity jackets of excellent quality and know more about us and our products!

    ReplyDelete