Monday 17 October 2011

Magpie Monday - the joys of toys

Last week I shared the chalkboard table and chairs I renovated for Ruby's playroom.  I was a bit overwhelmed by all the lovely comments - thank you so much!

I thought I'd show you a few other bits and pieces I've picked up for Ruby's bedroom and playroom.  I buy lots of toys, books and games for Ruby from charity shops and car boot sales, but I particularly love seeking out vintage or decorative items from the children's book shelves and toy baskets.

Here's a selection that are currently on display in our home. All were picked up for a couple of pounds or less.

Beautiful vintage American children's book by Charlotte Steiner and antique straw filled doggy teddy

1950's Holiday Book

Wooden abacus

Vintage Noddy figures

Vintage American tin spinning top

Wooden marble run

Chunky painted wooden truck


What second-hand gems have you found?  Please grab the badge and link up.


Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



Me and My Shadow

16 comments:

  1. I love old toys, so much better to look at than a lot of the modern ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, gorgeous toys! And lots of red to go with the room makeover I see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, they look fab! Where do you pick them up from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore vintage children's books! You find such amazing items :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous and I love that you have so many traditional toys and not all girly pink. I bet she will adore her room as she grows and really appreciate the quality of vintage toys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice,I got a knitted Noddy the other day Must share it soon.That little puppy toy is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the books of course and the wooden toys especially the abacus as I have a thing about them (along with jelly moulds, cake stands, picnic hampers, New Age stuff etc etc)
    My fave though is that cute dog

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember having a spinning top just like that! I'm showing my age now, lol. Love the 50's holiday book sat next to the boat...Fab! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love the Noddy and Big Ears weeble toys. They bring back memories of infants school for me. Such beautiful finds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab collection of vintage toys. Love the doggy teddy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all so beautiful. I love anything vintage or retro looking and of course wooden. What a gorge collection you have lovingly acquired - lucky Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've found better American toys than I find here!!! Great finds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a wooden marble run just like that, how lovely! I'm always trolling about after things but have to be strict with myself as my alter ego is a queen de-clutterer who needs lots of surface space! eek :) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vintage toys and games are the best. Great score.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fab post. Thanks for giving me the link. That marble run looks FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete