Monday 11 August 2014

Sky Sports at the Sky Studio O2



From now until the 28th September, sports fans young and old can try out their skills, have photos taken with their favourite stars and have a go at presenting the latest Sky Sports news.

This free event is open every day, and you'll find it located just inside the entrance to the O2 arena - if you're local or in the area, it's worth popping in and spending an hour or so there.


The activities are aimed at children aged 6 and over, although I'd say 8+ would probably get the most out of it, my 6 1/2 year old found some of them too challenging, but she had fun nevertheless.

It's a great way to try out unfamiliar sports - why knows, it may reveal a hidden talent?

Ruby got into the Ryder Cup spirit by taking a few swipes at the 17th at Gleneagles.  Take your swing then watch as your shot is mapped by computer generated image on the screen. Other than a bit of crazy golf on holiday, she's not really played any golf, so she was pleased to get some tips.






She loved taking shots at the Soccer Am shoot out - there are 4 different levels depending on age, and if you score you can win yourself a coveted Soccer AM T-Shirt - we spotted a few people young and old wearing theirs with pride.




The basketball area was very lively with lots of people taking turns, although Ruby thought it was "too high for her"!


Sadly the Team Sky Time Trial Pinarello bikes were out of action when we visited, so no work-out for me, although I did get quite competitive testing my reactions on the Batak - top tip to the mums: don't try it whilst wearing a boob tube!


The F1 simulator cars were a big draw, and with only one in operation they attracted quite a queue. Unfortunately, even with adjustments Ruby's feet were miles off the pedals so we teamed up, with her steering and me operating the accelerator and brake with my hands - lets just say we won't be entering a rally anytime soon.




We really enjoyed the green screen photo booths where you can have your picture taken with various sports personalities or presenters.  Simply take a card, scan the QR code, choose your background and smile.  The snaps are then all available to download and print or share when you get home.





Ruby also tested her presenting skills in a mock-up studio.  Perched behind the news desk, the auto cue rolled and she was filmed delivering the latest Sky sports news. This is also transferred onto your own QR code, and you simply enter a code number into the website to access your filmed clip.  She was a bit phased by the amount of writing, and this is best done in pairs, but I witnessed some amazingly animated older kids really getting into it - I think these are going to be the news reporters of the future.



So, if you have sports-mad kids (or partner), or just want to get your family more excited about sports, pop down to the O2 and join the fun.

Details: travel by tube to North Greenwich.  The O2 is a couple of minutes stroll from there.
Open: Every day from 11am-7pm until 28th September
Cost: Free
Further info: http://www.Sky.com/TheO2 

I am a member of the Netmums Blogging Network, a unique community of parent bloggers from around the UK who have been handpicked by the Netmums team to review products and brands on their behalf. I have been paid expenses and supplied with a product sample for this review but retain all editorial control. All my Netmums Reviews will display the Netmums logo within the post.

This is a Netmum's sponsored review.To find out more click the button:

13 comments:

  1. Cool! So good to promote sport more to children and to cater for the sport fans out there. And I LOVE that jumpsuit by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so much fun! I would love my photo with even a fake Lewis Hamilton! She looks like she really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this. I would have totally loved this as a kid. Who am I kidding, I'd still love this now. I still remember my first behind the scenes trip to a TV studio and it was really exciting. This might not be quite the real deal yet, but the photos looks super real and the activities great fun. Fab day out, especially when the weather is as horrid as today x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day out! it's not too far from here and we have a sports mad little chum who would love it - we may have to pop down and have a look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fab Liz! I wish we lived so much closer to London as my kids would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks fabulous! London always has so much to offer, must visit again with my kids soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ruby looks so great on tv! I think my brother would love this and he's 29!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, that looks fab, Ruby looks like she had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cool! My kids would love this, they are sport mad this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks liek a lot of fun and I love Rubys glasses, she looks so cute. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nakon zahtjevnog susreta protiv Škupija, Dinamo ustraje u prolasku po skupinama prestižnog europskog natjecanja. Hrvatski prvak u utorak navečer s početkom u 19:45 sati kreće na gostovanje kod Ludogoreca u susret trećeg pretkola Lige prvaka. visit here: 24sata.pro

    ReplyDelete