Wednesday 13 November 2013

Upcycled kitchenalia bird feeders

My passion for salvaging things is well known.  I'm never happier than when I'm up to my elbows rooting around in boxes of old junk outside a house clearance shop; at a jumble sale or in a charity shop.  My absolute favourite purchases are always those that I've unearthed from the bottom of a random box of 10p bits and pieces - a pretty little china teacup who's lost it's saucer, an enamel teapot missing it's lid; a floral plate with a tiny chip on the back that nobody wants anymore.

But what to DO with all this stuff?  I want to love it and look at it and keep it from the jaws of the crusher, but let's be honest, my cupboards are groaning under the weight.

So what can you do with these adorable mis-matched odds and sods?  Well, of course you can make candles in them, and very lovely they are too.  But there's also only so many candles a home can have.

Inspired by the bird feeders I made a while back in vintage clay plant post, I decided to share the prettiness of this kitchenalia with my garden birds.  They need all the energy they can get at this time of the year, so a tasty treat of fat and seeds will give them the warmth they need.

Vintage Kichenalia Bird Feeders

vintage enamel teapot homemade bird feeder

DIY bird feeder

Vintage tea cup bird feeder

Homemade Chrsitmas Gift - tea cup bird feeder


I'm not entirely sure how my bone china cup will fare in the depths of winter when the temperature plummets, but the enamel teapot will be just fine I'm sure.

To make, simply melt some solid vegetable fat gently in a pan.  Pour dried bird seed mix into your cup or whatever receptacle you're using.  Pour over the hot fat and leave to cool and set.  Tie some garden twine off the handle to make a hanging loop and you're done.

If you're giving this as a gift (and what a lovely thoughtful gift it would make!), decorate with a ribbon, some berries and foliage from the garden and seal the top with one of those cellophane jam pot covers and an elastic band. Pop into a gift box and voila, a gorgeous vintage gift that's cost pennies and will give hours of enjoyment watching the birds visit the garden.

Are you feeding the birdies this winter?

23 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea and great for gifts! Have pinned it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will DEFINTELY be making these for Christmas gifts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous idea. PInned and shared :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brillant, I just bought a cracked serving dish that I need to find a home for. Although I'm not sure I'm ready to gift it to the birds quiet yet. Maybe when I acknowledge that it actually won't fit into any of the cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh serving dishes and tureens are lovely planted up with hyacinths or other bulbs :)

      Delete
  5. Love it xx a grat gift for my kids to make for grandparents :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great Ellie, they should manage it no problem - hide your best china first though! x

      Delete
  6. This is such a lovely idea! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vi. Annoyingly I've just seen similar in a magazine, and that magazine also has silver birch bark candles (yeah did them like yonks ago) and candles in metal cake tins (I was banging those out for craft fairs last year!!)

      Delete
  7. Love this ideal. I will be doing this progect with my grandaughter. Thanks for this very clever poat.♡♥♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect project to do with your granddaughter, how lovely! Let me know how you get on x

      Delete
  8. a new way of hiding more junk ive bought excellent..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not junk Kate, repeat after me - it's gorgeous gorgeous vintage dahling. ;0)

      Delete
  9. How beautiful! I love this - off to pin pin pin baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the "recipe." Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. t a lovely idea! I particularly love the orange teapot that is a fab find! I trust the birdies will appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love enamel stuff, and that teapot is such a gorgeous colour! What a great idea! It's supposed to snow properly here this week, so I have to get the bird food ready, poor little blighters! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a really great idea, I don't have a bird table as I have a cat, but something I could hang from the trees would be great and out of her way.

    ReplyDelete