Wednesday 13 November 2013

The Black Dog Delicatessen


If you're looking for a stylish gift for a foodie friend, or perhaps some delicious treats to put in a Christmas hamper, then I may have found the brand for you.

Not only does The Black Dog Delicatessen produce tasty gourmet continental delights, but they donate proceeds of each sale to the Labrador Rescue Trust.  The charity is celebrating it's 25th anniversary this year and has re-homed over 10,000 rescue Labradors.

"We wanted to create a signature brand that people could trust. Black Dog combines authentic provenance at an affordable price. What's more, given the fact that the British are such a nation of dog lovers, I'm sure the rescue dog element will prove popular too." 
James Tyler, foodhq MD

The brand's Managing Director, owns two rescue Bailey and Blue who provided the inspiration for Black Dog Delicatessen and their distinctive packaging.

We are a Labrador household here too (although we have a chocolate flavour one not a black one), so I fully support this initiative to raise funds.


Here's the puppy-dog eyes shot!  This is James' dog, but it looks so much like ours it's uncanny!  She sneaks on the sofa too.

Anyway, enough of the gratuitous cute hounds, the food's pretty darned good too.  The range includes:

FIVE PASTA CHOICES
Linguina (Great Taste Award) • Penne Rigata • Orzo • Spaghetti Al Nero • Vermicelloni

FOUR RISOTTO MIX CHOICES (£2.49 per 300g pack)
Porcini Mushroom • Tomato • Lemon • Asparagus

FIVE OLIVE CHOICES
Mixes Pitted Olives with Garlice, Chili & Basil (Great Taste Award) • Pitted Green Olives with Dukkah Spices & Orange 
Pitted Green Olives with Garlic & Basil • Pitted Green Olives with Thyme, Basil, Parsley & Chives • Pitted Kalamata with Thyme, Basil, Parsley, & Chives

BALSAMIC VINEGAR
10-year-old Cask Aged from Modena

TWO OLIVE OILS ~ BOTH WINNERS OF GREAT TASTE AWARDS
Italian Extra Virgin Olive Oil • Spanish Extra Virgin Olive Oil


I was sent a couple of samples to try, and we enjoyed the tomato risotto and a jar of green olives with garlic and basil.

The whole family enjoyed the olives.  Ruby who adores black or green ones is highly suspicious of anything that may be stuffed inside (a traumatic earlier incident involving anchovy I think!) so it was lovely that these were merely in flavoured oil rather than having chunks of garlic inside. They were nice big, juicy olives, perfect to serve as a pre-drinks snack or to use in your cooking.


The risotto did wonders to liven up some leftover pheasant for supper.  The sun dried tomatoes and black olives re-hydrated beautifully.  It tasted fresh, vibrant and had a luxuriously creamy texture.  It would be perfect actually, just on it's own with some Parmesan and fresh herbs.  Definitely a great addition to the larder.



Do check out the Black Dog Delicatessen range online at Food HQ.  I've been really impressed. The branding and packaging is gorgeous, but it's not just style over substance, the food inside is a treat too!

Disclosure: I was sent some samples as outlined above.  All opinions are my own and I received no financial reward for writing this review.

26 comments:

  1. Oh why did I read this before bedtime? I'll dream of porcini mushroom risotto all night. The range looks amazing and so does the doggy, very cute ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh sorry! Hope you didn't have to get up for a midnight snack - although I can recommend the olives!

      Delete
  2. That doggie is gorgeous, and as for the food mouth-watering. Even though I have already eaten, its makin me hungry all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh they would make great presents and what a fab cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'd make gorgeous gifts, they do their own pre-filled hampers too.

      Delete
  4. Lizzie,

    thank you for the kind comments - we are offering a Black Dog Hamper on the Food HQ site, for £45 delivered with £5.80 from every hamper sold going to the rescue trust.

    Best,

    James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James,

      A pleasure! We really enjoyed the products we tried.

      Also - your dog is gorgeous!

      Here's a link to the hamper http://www.foodhq.co.uk/product/zw1/black-dog-delicatessen-luxury-hamper It's a very generous donation to the charity. x

      Delete
  5. What a great idea. I've got loads of friends who are doglovers - and would appreciate a hamper, as well as the idea that it's doing some good for needy animals

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great idea. As someone stuck overseas, I am always on the look out for good quality hampers etc. for Christmas gifts for loved ones at home! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it must be hard when you're shopping for gifts in a different country. I guess these could be delivered direct to the recipient?

      Delete
  7. How lovely! I pretty much want to eat everything there. And what a beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks yummy doesn't it? And I want to introduce that dog to mine, I think they'd get on!

      Delete
  8. I think this is a brilliant idea. I love spending money when I know some of it is supporting a good cause. Black Dog to me though is associated with depression so I did think this was a mental health initiative. No matter, it is still a donation to charity.

    Lots of foodies in the family so I am off to start my Christmas shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, that was the first thing I thought when I heard the words 'black dog'. But no, it's an actual black dog.

      Hope you find something you like on the site. x

      Delete
  9. What a great idea - a great gift idea and helping a good cause benefit at the same time,, now that's what I call a Christmas present.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum yum yum yum - what PinkOddy said too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The olives sound amazing! We love a good olive in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *whispers* I am more of a cat person but those puppy dog eyes are enough to make me change my mind!
    This is a brilliant idea, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely idea... and as a designer, think that packaging's rather fine too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such beautiful packaging:: love the simplicity. And the shape of the oil bottles. Don;t think the Wonder Hound would approve of another dog in my life though :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh yum, that risotto looks lovely! I'm a bit partial to olives too but once bought some in Spain with anchovies in so I'm a bit like Ruby now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the packaging too - definitely makes me want to try it x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh they would make for a great Hamper Gift this Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Easy but lush sounding risotto would get my vote every night of the week. What a lovely looking brand!

    ReplyDelete