Thursday 19 May 2011

Bags of Happiness

Finally I get to show you a finished article from my sewing classes!  The cushions are still not yet done as I've decided to add buttons, and I've yet to attempt the dark art of buttonholes.

This week we made tote bags.  Fantastically straightforward, I managed to make this in one session of an hour and a half.  Not bad considering it was the first attempt.  Surely I'll be whizzing them up like there's no tomorrow soon.


I've got enough fabric left so I can make a mini-me version for Ruby, then we can be all matchy-matchy when we go out.

It's already had it's inaugural shopping trip, and lived up to the task admirably.



I need to work on my straight lines clearly. Anyone would think I went to class half-cut.

Massive thanks to my super-patient teacher Jo at School of Craft for her fab lessons.  Check out her blog too.

Linking up with Handmade Thursday, click the badge and pop on over to see what other's have been up to.



Inspire Me Beautiful

22 comments:

  1. Excellent! I love the fabric - where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh your tote looks LOVELY!!! Well done you!! Hooray for learning to sew (that is my challenge this year too)

    Maggy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh thank you. I'm quite proud :0)

    I got the fabric in John Lewis, but it was blooming expensive - about £16 per metre I think. You can get it on Ebay sometimes too - it's made by 'Prestigious Fabric' and called 'Man's best friend'. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh fantastic well done to you and the fabric is very pretty :)
    Ive a huge load of linen like fabric i brought cheap ages ago that i must make into bags ready to decorate with fabric flowers etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and your lines look pretty straight to me - love the doggy fabric too! Well done xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks fab, love the doggy material :) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! how lovely what a fab make, and I have to admit that I love the poodle on that fabric! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's really nice. I love the doggie fabric. I keep saying I'm going to try making a tote bag one of these days but without a kitchen table I'm never sure where to put the sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Great fabric. I like the idea of the mini-me bag too - the small one is obsessed by bags and pockets at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love it the dogs are soooo cute now i would need a cat one lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love it! And Prestigious fabrics are so yummy and fantastic quality aren't they. Well done and I think a mini one would be so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks wonderful! Thank you for saying I'm super-patient, but really no patience has been needed. It's been a pleasure to teach you all! We'll perfect the art of buttonholing on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought that fabric was from John Lewis. I saw it too but couldn't think of anything to make with it :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! Well done you! I told you that you would be sewing like a pro in no time!!!

    I Love that fabric!!

    Thank you for linking up honey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's such a cute bag, and very suited to a Crufts Mum, lol! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done!! I've just reteaching myself to use a sewing machine, I must try one of these too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahh thanks for all your encouraging comments. I'm really enjoying the lessons, and can't wait to make more! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. A really lovely bag, and gorgeous fabric! Would love to have a go with a machine. Have only ever made on bag by hand. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loving that gorgeous fabric and what a great first attempt, can't wait to see the mini version too. x

    ReplyDelete