Monday, 24 March 2014

Magpie Monday - Making a Stand for family time

Hi Magpies.  I'm just back from a lovely weekend away at Hastings on the south coast - if you haven't been you must, it's a real haven for treasure-seekers.

We managed pretty much the ideal family balance this weekend which is a rare thing indeed and a valuable lesson for all of us in terms of turn-taking and compromise.  We each got to do the things we love most, and everyone was happy.

Ruby got to spend hours in the pool at the holiday park and feed 2p coins into the slot machines.  The other half got to do the half marathon, and managed a personal best time too so he was happy.  I got to spend Saturday afternoon mooching around the endless charity shops and second-hand alleys picking up some great bargains.  And on Sunday we spent the afternoon on the beach meeting up with Anthea and her family at their beach hut, collecting pretty shells and interesting stones and sharing fish and chips.

Hasting and St Leonards boast a wealth of charity shops, antique shops and house clearance yards and really, it was a perfect day for me.  I picked up lots of great items which I'm in the process of unpacking and cleaning up now.

But my absolute favourite, both in terms of it's practicality and it's attractiveness (not to mention the steal of a price) was this shabby cast iron boot stand.





It has a boot scraper and stands for 2 pairs of wellies (I may need to downsize my boot collection!) and for an outdoor family like us who's utility room is strewn with walking boots and muddy wellies it's just perfect.

It was priced at just £14 which was a crazy low price to start with, but I had the nerve to haggle (in the politest way possible) and the lovely seller instantly knocked it down to £10.

I'm playing around with where it will live.  I'm not yet decided.  The Old Man has an irritating habit of putting my wellies in the garden shed, so they get nibbled by mice and I have to traverse the quagmire of a garden in the rain to retrieve them.  This somewhat defeats the object of having them.  So keeping them outside the back door would be perfect.

It would also be good to keep in our front porch, along with an umbrella or two, but that's already pretty crowded with scooters.  Or maybe we'll keep in in the utility and just house our walking boots in a tidier fashion.  Who knows.

Have you picked up any pre-loved bargains lately?

I'd love you to grab the badge and link up.
      


42 comments:

  1. What a fabulous find - I love it!! Sound like a lovely weekend too Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a good weekend and got to meet up with Anthea. Anthea and I meet up for coffee and a natter whenever we can. Love the purchase. Don't tell everyone about our crazy low prices down here! I picked up a vintage coat from a charity shop in St Leonards for a ridiculous £5. It's just divine! Elinor x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe sorry! Anthea and gang are lovely aren't they?

      Funnily enough I got a Harris Tweed coat for a fiver this weekend too. Hope I haven't caused a stampede - although I'm already planning a girlie weekend in a rather large truck ;0)

      Delete
    2. I think we need to junk shop trawling with our next catch up Beach Hut Cook

      Delete
  3. Oh god, I have stand envy! I have always, always wanted one! Mr TS made me a boot rack out of dowling rods stuck on the garage wall but it is NOT the same! That looks like just the sort of place I'd love to visit. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a wall mounted dowel rod one too Chris that my dad made for me. Love that too. (We have a lot of boots!)

      Delete
  4. I am so Jealous ... that is an amazing find!!!
    Was such a lovely Sunday despite the 'movie set' weather. Until the next time my lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh Anthea, I had SUCH a lovely day. Your family are just brilliant and I loved seeing the girls play together like old friends. Would love to see some of the photos you took x

      Delete
  5. Oh its fab! Lucky lady. Love to see the rest of your treasure. I used to live in West Sussex and loved going on day trips there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you Karen? I didn't know that. Yes, it's great, my new favourite place!

      Delete
  6. I'd been told so many times that Hastings is a dump that I was pleasantly surprised when I went there last year, I thought it was great! Love the stand - very practical too, hope you find a good place for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dump?! How very dare they? The Old Town is just fabulous.

      Delete
  7. what a great find and would look fab in my porch actually for keeping the wellingotn boots on! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find, I could do with something like that as mud gets all over our house where they are thrown by the front door.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I love a bit of rust. What a great deal! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't fake rust can you? Well, I suspect you probably can actually, but you know what I mean!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. My favourite find in a long time Becky!

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a great weekend, and what a lovely find!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great find! Linking up with you over on my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Great to see you over here x

      Delete
  13. That's lovely Liz. I hate putting my feet into wellies that have been in the shed, always worried there will be spiders (or worse!) lurking in the bottoms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and well done to OH on the half marathon PB x

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, can't abide things in my wellies. Still toying with the idea of making little caps for them! x

      Delete
    3. ooh that's a good idea - wellie caps xx

      Delete
  14. What a bargain. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post really took me back to when I was 19 and spent 5 months in St Leonard's, on a career training course. I loved the place and it's charming little shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh did you Donna? There's some really cool places there, great little cafes and restaurants and lovely quirky and artsy shops.

      Delete
  16. Ooh, what a bargain, that's just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bloody lushness! *finds your address to nick it*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Moves house*. (Preferably to Hastings)

      Delete
  18. Oooh, that's lovely, and useful too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. £10 Yikees that's a huge bargain, between this and your store of Hornsea I'm get a little green eyed!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it's a great item! always nice to find something unique that gets used again daily. your hastings weekend sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete