Friday 16 March 2012

April Showers Necklace

A friend told me you could iron bubble wrap and get a plastic type material to craft with, but I didn't believe her!

So I did some Googling and I did some experimenting, and what do you know, she's right!!


No matter who many layers I used, mine was too flimsy, so I tried some 'inclusions' and I'm really pleased how the material came out with lace in.  To make similar, you will need:

Bubble wrap
Small piece of lace
Greaseproof paper
Beads
Thread or jewellery beading equipment

First sandwich your lace between 2 pieces of bubble wrap - bubbles facing inside.  Layer this between 2 pieces of greaseproof paper and press with a hot iron for 30-60 seconds.  You will hear the satisfying gentle pop of the bubbles, like tiny popcorn.

Allow to cool for a minute before peeling off the greaseproof paper.  Continue layering one layer of bubble wrap and ironing until you have achieved your desired thickness - about 7-8 pieces.

I found it best to do all this one one side, leaving one side with just one layer of bubble wrap.  The material becomes more opaque as it gets thicker, so you won't be able to see the lace through if you put too many layers on both sides.

You'll also find that as you work, it becomes very static, so don't do this wearing your best fluffy jumper or near the dog unless you want stray hairs included too!

Once dry, cut out you shape.  I cut a cloud and some rain drops.  Arrange with beads until you are happy with the design.


You could thread these together, but I pierced holes with a needle and used jump rings etc to attach the rain and chain.

I actually like it hanging in the window, and that way I get to see it every day.  Using crystal beads means you get the refracted rainbows dancing in the room when the sun shines too!




   

12 comments:

  1. Lizzie this is an incredible idea!! Your finished article looks great, thank you so much for posting this - I can't wait to have a whirl :-)

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jem, let me know how it turns out x

      Delete
  2. I am in awe, is there no end to your incredible talent and imagination - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Who'd have thought you could do that with lace & bubble wrap eh? So going to give this a go. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, it's pretty cool what you can make from stuff which would go in the bin, huh?! I have loads of bubble wrap (comes from shopping on ebay!) so can't wait to make more things. Let me know how yours turn out. x

      Delete
  4. This is beautiful! I love the idea of leaving it in the window to make rainbows! I'm of to iron bubble wrap - thats something I never thought I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super. I think I will have to have a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. I can't wait to experiment some more. I'm almost more excited about the packaging than the content of parcels now!

      Delete
  6. What a great idea I've got to try it - I never use my iron so it will give it some use :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing idea. I'll fish that bubblewrap out of the bin right now!

    ReplyDelete