Monday, 13 May 2013

Magpie Monday - Wine Box Woes




Now, I like a nice wooden wine box as much as the next guy, but do I want to pay a tenner for one?  I mean really?  For something that is essentially just packaging?  No of course not.

I've always tried to sweet talk my way round wine merchants in their little shops to let me take one or two off their hands, but they've got wise to the fact that they can make spondoolies on eBay for them.

The other weekend, while mooching around a nice little market town, me and a friend happened to pass of Off Licence which was packing up and shipping out.

The door was open and a stream of people were loading up display stands and merchandise into the back of a van.  There were a few sorry tins of larger rolling about on the floor, but never before had I seen a sight as sorry as the two supermarket shopping trolleys inside piled high with shards of wood.

Someone had taken a hammer to all the beautiful wooden crates and smashed them to smithereens.  I could have cried.

I tried to show the necessary compassion for the owner who's business and livelihood had obviously gone down the swanny, but actually I wanted to slap him for his wanton destruction!

I managed to spot one unscathed box and asked nicely if I could have it, wished him well for the future and skulked off.

So, what to do with my wooden crate?  First I know I need to remove those dodgy metal staples, but for now it's housing my magazines.  I could put it to use to hold my bottles of home brew (which incidentally tastes pretty good, even if it does make you feel like someone's given you two dead arms after half a glass).  I might have it next to the fire to hold logs.  Or I may use it in the bathroom to hold loo rolls like this.



There are lots of great ideas on t'internet, and I'm quite liking the idea of a pet bed like this one by Glam Mutts - although there's no way my big oaf would fit in there, perhaps better for a cat?


My dawg might quite like this raised feeding station though. Check out this tutorial to make your own by Design Sponge.


And I adore this stylish bike accessory upcycle (bwahaha) by Field Guided.


Or maybe I'll just look out for a few more and wall mount them for storage/book shelves.  Who knows.  Do you have any other ideas for me?

Have you managed to rescue anything lately.  Grab my swanky new badge to go with my swanky new blog and please do link up.

48 comments:

  1. Wow! Lovely bright shiny newness! Looks great! :)
    Glad you managed to save one wooden crate from hammer time. Love all the ideas, especially the loo roll box on its end like that. Ours always seem to end up rolling about on the floor. Usually unravelled :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracey.

      I need more crates so I can make one of everything!

      Delete
  2. Honoured to be the first to link up and wear your shiny new badge! Wow Liz the site looks a.m.a.z.i.n.g! Love it love it love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new look of your blog!
    So many good ideas for using that lovely wood box... they all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, I'm so happy with it x

      Delete
  4. Loving the new blog look lady, it's lovely! Very jealous of your wine crate - I keep looking at them on eBay and then telling myself that paying £10 for packaging is essentially madness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky. You're totally right, it is madness isn't it. But they are lovely though!

      Delete
  5. Love the gorgeous new look! So elegant. I'm quite envious of the wine crate although I know what my partner would say if I brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pippa. To be honest, mine too - I had to sneak it in!

      Delete
  6. Love the new look. I never find wine crates or anything such

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. If you hang around as many offies as I do... ;0)

      Delete
  7. Ooh look at you! Love the new look!

    Mr spotted a wine crate at the tip and nabbed it - it's got castors on now and is currently full of junk in K's room. We thought it was very apt that the code on the box is P00 (childish but there you go).

    I'm just off to add your shiny new magpie badge to my blog post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely.

      Oooh tip rescue - love it! I fancy putting castors on it but I fear for the bumpage to my walls and skirting boards and strongly suspect DD would try to get in it and ride around!

      Delete
  8. They look good with walnut stain and beeswax. Or walnut stain then a white wash of beigey grey watered down emulsion for a driftwoody look. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How on earth do I add a badge? I have no idea! x

      Delete
    2. Hi Emma! You should be able to grab the code in the little box up there and add it as html in your post x

      Delete
    3. Good tip re staining. It's a bit shiny and new, I'd prefer a more aged look so I think I'll give that a go x

      Delete
  9. Wehey! I have done it! I didn't even know I had a html version of my post! Am now a technological genius! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *bows down to your technical achievements* x

      Delete
  10. Wow! What a great find but how heartbreaking that so many had been smashed to shit :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad they are getting wise to the demand for crates! Your blog looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo. And yes, things don't stay secret for long do they? I blame this ere internet.

      Delete
  12. Ooh I love the swanky new badge and the swanky new blog!

    Sorry I haven't joined in recently - life has been mad busy recently but the good news that I'm escaping to a new job and (hopefully) a new house soon :)

    I do have some exciting thrifty finds to blog about just as soon as I get a moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear. I've missed you, but your plans sound very exciting. We'll be here waiting x

      Delete
  13. I'm back !!
    Loving the wine box

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking Good Liz! Will grab the new badge later this morning. As for the wine boxes, the bike version is my fave :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you *smooths dress*.

      I love the bike one too. But I reckon my bottles would rattle on the ride home ;0)

      Delete
  15. Love what you can do with them - I have never even thought about and considering how much wine i drink that is crazy!! I love the new look too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Totally you should buy them by the crate from now on. ;0)

      Delete
  16. Ooh cute! Had a chuckle at the dog bowl holder - are you going to give that a try?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have you know that an elevated feeding position aids digestion for large breed dogs *or so I read somewhere. I think*!

      Delete
  17. Well done for rescuing one Liz. I like the bike box, but then I would. What about a wine crate guitar? ;) http://pinterest.com/pin/81346336990065035/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you'd like that!

      How amazing is that guitar? I wonder what it sounds like?

      Delete
  18. hee hee typist loves loves loves the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you approve! Let me guess, you like the feeding station best? x

      Delete
  19. Loving the dog feeding station! Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cool isn't it? Thanks for linking up I'm so glad you did your blog is beautiful x

      Delete
  20. Love the toilet roll holder one, I could do with one for beside my desk to hold all the random paperwork I seem to be amassing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes...paperwork...where does it all come from? x

      Delete
  21. Looking good! :) So many great ideas on how to use the crate. So glad you were able to salvage at least one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GUTTED it was only one, but still better than nothing! x

      Delete
    2. saw this and thought of your crate.... http://blog.stitchawishdesigns.com/2011/06/our-lil-deck-garden/

      Delete
  22. Ahhhh! These are all so clever! This reminds me of a wooden box that used to contain chalk (you know, for a school classroom) that my grandad had and now sits on my desk as a USB/etc holder. This is my first Magpie Monday visit. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Welcome and thanks for dropping by.

      There's something reassuringly solid about a nice wooden box isn't there?

      Delete
  23. Fifth time lucky (using the laptop this time).
    Envious of your wine crate! Especially given it was free, you jammy toad!
    I've been eyeing up various ways for their use on pinterest, you're spoilt for choice!
    Love the look of the blog too, fancy pants!
    x

    ReplyDelete