Monday 30 April 2012

Magpie Monday - Make and Do

There's something a little crafty about my thrifting this week.

Firstly there was this stool which I got for a steal and did a little number on.  Take a peek - it's come up pretty neat I think.

Then, after dropping Ruby off at nursery this morning, I took my customary stroll down to the charity shop.  The lady who works on a Monday had very kindly brought in a load of information and contacts for me for local craft fairs - we'd been chatting the previous week.

Browsing the book shelves, I spotted some great crafting books for Ruby.  Being stuck in watching the torrential rain for the past fortnight, I'm running pretty dry on ideas and inspiration, so these are very welcome.

Firstly, this great book on T-Shirt design, which will be perfect for future DYLON projects.



It covers all kinds of methods from potato printing to using templates.



Then I spotted a couple more Usbourne Activities books.



Fairy Cooking and Fairy Things to Make and Do.

Tell me, what girl wouldn't want to try some Fairy Fudge or Pink Swirly Biscuits?



The other book is full of tutorials on how to make essential fairy accessories- wand; tiara and wings, as well as loads of ideas for paintings, decorations and garlands.



Finally, I found this totally unused Marbling Craft Kit.


I can't wait to have a go with this.  As well as all the ink and equipment, it comes with card blanks and blank pillow boxes.  This kit costs around £15, but I got it for £2.49. Yay!

Plenty to keep us busy for a while.

What have you found 2nd-hand recently?  Grab the badge and link up.

  Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog



29 comments:

  1. Usbourne kids books are always lovely - that t-shirt one looks quite fun too, I can't wait to see you modelling your version of the brick wall with graffiti on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check OUT those outfits!

    Immense!

    Great finds, we too have struggled to keep having fun with this shocking weather.

    Hurrah for sun today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah indeed!

      Now, please don't be thinking I'll be wearing any such outfits - I can't pull of a baseball cap! I thought DD might look cute in one though, particularly as she audibly 'tut-tuts' when she sees graffiti!

      Delete
  3. I used to be really into t shirt decorating when I was a teenager.. Ought to get back into it again, Ethan would love it! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Ruby loves doing it. Check out the Olympics T-shirt we just did :0) http://missielizzie-meandmyshadow.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/olympic-rings-t-shirt.html

      Delete
  4. I lost my crafty mojo, until I started to go through some of my books. So I'm back on it now...maybe I'll have a look out for some more too! Off to get crafty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just need a bit of inspiration don't you? x

      Delete
  5. Great crafty finds that marbelling kit looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm coveting your paper marbling kit - hope you have lots of fun with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love Usbourne books! They are my favourite kids book publishers. Without fail every single one of there books are great.

    Be sure to show the pink swirly biscuits if you make them. They look yummy

    Madison xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do do great books, I particularly love their activity books.

      If I do the pink swirly bisciuts, I'm not entirely sure they'll come out looking like above!

      Delete
  8. Can't go wrong with books. LOVE THEM !

    Just dashing past today, sorry ! Will catch up later hopefully xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love kid's craft books for new ideas. Can never have too many!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, always snap them up when I see them.

      Delete
  10. It looks like you and Ruby will be having a lot of indoor fun. The marbling kit is interesting, let us know how that turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this biblical rain continues, we'll need plenty to do!

      Delete
  11. Oh I love the marbling kit. I used to make marbled paper in the bath, with a horrible concoction of carageen moss in the water, then inks on top. Made lovely paper, but don't know what my housemates at the time thought of my use of the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they thought you were a filthy mare! Ho did you explain the tide marks on the tub?!

      Delete
  12. Ooh what fantastic finds! You'll have tons of fun with those! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those books look like so much fun! Can't wait to see what projects you turn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope it will give me a kick up the bum to do more :0)

      Delete
  14. Fab finds Lizzie! Love the marbling kit x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mama, I've never tried marbling before, looks fun!

      Delete
  15. Fairy things to make and do has been a big hit in our house - especially the sparkly wands! Love your stool too - such a bargain.

    ReplyDelete