Monday 20 June 2011

Magpie Monday - Blue Period

I think, much like Picasso, I'm going through my Blue Period.  OK, nothing like Picasso really, he painted great works of art, I simply buy second-hand stuff.  But it has mostly been blue recently for some reason I'm unable to fathom.

I desperately wanted to buy a huge blue abstract oil painting at the auction on Saturday.  I am no expert in modern art, in fact if it hadn't been for the artist's scribble of the date and title on the back, I'd have no doubt have hung it upside down if it had come into my possession.

However, the old man gave me strict instructions (blah blah blah) to stick to a limit of £30 because apparently we're on some kind of austerity drive.  I dropped out at £45!  Such a shame because it went for £50, and I even saw the guy who won it afterwards and told him it would look much nicer in my house than his.  "Aww sorry love," he said.  "If you really want it, you can buy it off me for a oner"...  What???  Why would I stop bidding at £45 if I had £100 to spend on it?  Odd little man.

Anyway, on to the things I have managed to acquire.  First up, these Devon Pottery pieces.  I have a few of these already secreted somewhere in boxes in the loft. 



They don't match perfectly, but I still think they'll make a nice little display and I love how they remind me of the seaside and childhood holidays.


I found this little blue and white pomander in a charity shop for a quid.  I'd never gone a bundle on pomanders, but since seeing how great the collection looked over on Kat Got the Cream, I've started giving them a second look.  It has to be said, I'm still not keen on the crinoline lady patterns, but this blue and white one was rather attractive.  Since I'm trying to cut down on my addiction to plug-in air fresheners, this will come in very handy once I've filled it with something suitably perfumed.  I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into another collection/obsession.



This next little lot I rescued from my mum.  She's been on a bit of a clear-out mission recently so I spotted these in the 'get rid of' box and snaffled them.  Perfect for making a cake stand I reckon - if I can be brave and actually drill holes in them.


I nabbed these three blue stoneware bottles for £2 from a boot sale.  The guy selling them had the most amazing stall, and I was gutted to have missed a stoneware bed warmer, in pristine condition, and in the shape of a Gladstone bag.  They came from the same stall I got my final offering from...


I couldn't show you my blue bits without showing you something from my macabre shelf.  To be precise it's my kitchen window.  The display is all a bit weird, and will probably result in nightmares for Ruby for years to come, but frankly I think it detracts slightly from next door's guttering.


The porcelain dolls head and single blue glass eye were purchased from the same seller as the stoneware bottles. A very animated Polish man at a local car boot sale.  He was fascinating and I talked for ages to him.  His English wasn't great and my Polish is non-existent, but we understood each other.  He's a 'digger' and had a vast array of treasure he'd dug up from the nearby brick pits.  He told me his house was full of various things he'd discovered and his wife was now making him sell bits off.  He was incredibly knowledgeable about his items and knew the book prices of all the various bottles, pot lids and glassware he'd dug.  However, he was selling at rock bottom prices and let me have the dolls head for £3.  I find her incredibly creepy, and I don't think I actually like her at all, but I had to have her!  I picked up the glass doll's eye, and he let me have it for nothing.  Aren't I lucky?!

They sit next to my little blue-grey monkey ornament.  He's rather sweet and I think offsets the other horrors somewhat.



Magpie Monday is your chance to share your second-hand treasures and to encourage others to re-use and re-cycle.  If you've bought or acquired anything pre-owned and given it a new life, I'd love you to grab the badge, link back here and add your blog post or twitpic to the linky below.  Look forward to seeing what you've got! x

Me and My Shadow
Grab my button
and link to my blog




29 comments:

  1. Blue is a lovely colour, isn't it? So fresh and pretty. I particularly like the little bowl with birds on it - really sweet. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the seagulls on the Cornish pottery, and the pomander is actually very pretty. Far nicer than a glad plug-in. Your sill of horrors is the kind of thing I'd do, but surely your monkey moonlights on TV? Isn't he starring in the latest jammy/toffee dodger advert?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Liz, what a great Magpie Monday post. As always I am in awe. I love your Devon pottery, especially the smaller piece. I haven't got any pomanders, but after Kathryn's post I too want some! Most of all I love your Chamber of Horrors shelf, and great story behind it - I think your Polish man would be very happy his dug up finds have gone to a great home. I do think you'll be giving Ruby nightmares tho! My mum or dad had a paperback book (I think by Angela Carter, a very early one) with a picture of a doll's head on the front (I think slightly smashed) and it scared the living daylights out of all of us for years! (No permanent damage done tho - or was there? mwahahahah *crazy cackle*)
    Sorry for the essay, but such a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me again! meant to add that I'm slacking again this week, and very busy today so may not have a chance to pop out to charity shops at lunchtime so might be missing out again this week, boo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great finds again! Loving the blue period. Triednot to repeat, but I've starting looking out for pomanders too! But sadly not seen any, and I have the perfect two small window sills for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He hee! I am loving the fact that i may have started a mini granny pomander trend (it's the small things that keep me going...) Your blue and white one is very classy!!
    I'm not sure about the dolls heads to be honest. The eyes would follow me around the room and freak me out slightly ;-/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely love the blue plates... I'm sure I saw a cake stand this weel that the plates just sit in (save drilling them) I'll try to remember where and go back and have another look.... x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the birdie pottery, very pretty. That head is a bit to freaky-deaky for me, but I love that it was dug up-thats real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Scary staring eyes head...but a very pretty Sea-gull pot. Super post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think blue and white pottery always looks good, Love that seagull print! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all your comments - particularly your lovely gushing one Mol! x

    Sorry if I've freaked anyone out this morning with my evil eye :0)

    Lakota, I have not seen this Jammy Dodger advert of which you speak. I must seek it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the Devon pottery pieces...Gorgeous! They remind me of the sea, Lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh I love the little seagull pot x

    ReplyDelete
  14. The doll is creepy (reminds me of the one in toy story 3) but i keep looking back at her, she makes me wonder what stories she could tell if only she could talk!! Love the Devon pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finds but that dolls head is well creepy erghhhh lol
    No posting from me this week im still on a ban and have been busy with k's bday this weekend ... the kids have worn me out lol
    And blogger is still playing me up think im gonna end up going to wordpress if it carries on i can't follow anyone or reply with my name grrrrr
    jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want the blue glass eye! I've been on the lookout for one to sit in my type drawer for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i adore blue, it goes with my kitchen and hubby is very into art at the mo, I bet Mr TM would be terrible at an art auction (note to self, don't let him go) I have a magpie monday post but it's not strictly within the rules so haven't linked :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Incorrigible was the word that sprang to mind when reading this post. It is like you know you are naughty but you love it so carry on. I like the first items the best although may now have to go on some mad quest for the horror stuff to compete with yours lol.
    My try this week is over at http://celebratingmums.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! I am rather jealous and the treasures you find.

    I too am rather spooked by that dolls head! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore your blue stoneware bottles - they are just gorgeous! I can imagine those playing host to a gorgeous Peony apiece!

    Jem xXx

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the little pale blue pot with the seagulls on. Very charming. I'm a big fan of blue, too. Shame about the painting, and what a silly man to try to sell it to you for twice what he paid!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That doll would give me nightmares, never mind Ruby! Maybe she needs a hat? There, an idea to look out for, and you can blame me.

    I love the bottles though, and I'd probably use them to display the remaining few wood roses left from our wedding, which were all blue & white.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry just had to pop back and mention theres a collection of 186 pomanders on ebay no bids 99p starting price for collection ..... any1 interested ;0 lol
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the dolls heads, they weird me out! I do however love your seagull bowl, it's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jesus, that shelf of curios is f**ked up, but I love it! Hope you're not literally feeling blue! x

    ReplyDelete
  26. You've found some beautiful blue things....those plates are just outstanding! Love them!!! Thanks for the party!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Big fan of blue here too, lovely finds!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks to Global Assignment Help for their exceptional Write My Assignment service. They've streamlined the balance between work and academics, relieving the stress of deadlines. Their commitment to authenticity and academic integrity has made a substantial impact on my GPA. - George Cameron, Harvard University

    ReplyDelete