Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Carbon Monoxide - The Silent Killer: Win a free monitor & keep your family safe



Every year in the UK, more than 200 people go to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, and around 40 people die. Small children and the elderly are most at risk, and CORGI HomePlan is campaigning for every home to get a carbon monoxide detector, so that they can keep their family safe.

In the last three years, an estimated one in six homes inspected by the Gas Safe Register was found to have an unsafe gas appliance and one in eleven has an unsafe boiler.

There are several warning signs in your home that could mean you have a carbon monoxide issue. Here are a few things to look out for:
  • The flame on your cooker should be crisp and blue. Yellow or orange flames mean you need to get your cooker checked
  • Dark staining around or on appliances
  • Sooty marks on the walls around boilers, stoves or the cover of gas fires
  • Pilot lights that frequently go out
  • Increased condensation inside windows
CORGI HomePlan are campaigning for every home to have their own CO detector and they’ve created a microsite to help families be aware of the dangers of gas appliances in their own home: http://corgi-homeplan-how-safe-is-your-home.org/

It's packed with easy to follow advice and warning signs to look out for, this site is an easy reference resource for homeowners unsure about how to protect themselves and their families and what to do when things go wrong at home.

It's not just homeowners though.  New laws require private landlords to install working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in high risk rooms such as those with solid fuel fires or gas boilers, but inevitably not all will comply. For around £30 you can have the peace of mind that you are protected.  If your child is off to university and staying in a rented room then a CO2 monitor is a great investment.

With the tragic news headlines recently, it's worth also remembering that some holiday properties aren't properly protected and I for one will certainly be taking a monitor to our rented villa this summer. 








CORGI HomePlan are offering readers the chance to win a CO-9X FireAngel Carbon Monoxide Detector by completing the rafflecopter below.  The monitor has an internal power pack which will last for 7 years meaning you don't need to worry about changing the battery.  It can be used as a portable monitor making it perfect for taking on holiday, or can be wall mounted.  These are excellent detectors and the ones we use at home.  We have one in our utility room where the boiler is housed, one in the kitchen where we have gas hobs and one in the living room as we have an open fire.

They are simple to use and have a one-button test feature.  If you'd like the chance to win your own CO alarm worth around £30, please complete the rafflecopter below.

The giveaway ends midnight 4th July 2015. One winner will be picked at random from all eligible entries.  UK entrants only.  The prize will be fulfilled and dispatched by CORGI HomePlan who are kindly supplying the prize. 

a Rafflecopter giveaway

97 comments:

  1. Elizabeth Hinds24 June, 2015 11:11

    I would use it at home - have been meaning to get one for a while as my auntie recently had a CM scare, so this would be brill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will use it on our landing. We have one down stairs already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. in the hall, although your suggestion of taking one on holiday is a really good idea and I must remember to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in my daughter's flat we have just finished a garage coversion for her to live in and now have to get it kitted out

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would take this away on holiday with us. I'm never sure about where we're staying, so it would feel like extra back-up insurance

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would use it in our holiday home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would use it in my home in the kitchen to protect my family myself and my cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my kitchen; it's open-plan so would cover more than one room. Brilliant prize!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will use it in the kitchen i think these are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know a girl my age who died from carbon monoxide poisoning and I think its great to raise awareness. I'd probably put it in the hallway x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I my hallway where the boiler is situated xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the hallway outside my boiler room

    ReplyDelete
  13. Outside my boiler room x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would use it upstairs in the hall between the bedroom

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd give it to my Dad to put in his house

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll set it up in my kitchen at home

    ReplyDelete
  17. At home, my current one is ready to be replaced this year

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just had a new boiler fitted in the kitchen so would use it somewhere near to that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. at home in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  20. In the utility room at home where the boiler is situated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been planning to get one of these for when I go away on holiday. I think it's essential, particularly after all the recent media coverage.

    ~ Anthony G

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd give it to my son for his flat at uni.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'd give it to my parents as I don't use Gas but they do :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paula Readings25 June, 2015 09:33

    at home in the Lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I would like it for home as we do not have one

    ReplyDelete
  26. I would use it in the kitchen where the boiler is :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. in my living room i think

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm not entering as I have a few doted around the house now but these are SO very important. My boiler was condemned on Monday as it was leaking gas, thankfully it was going outside out of the fume but it is very scary

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd put it in the hall. I've had the same one there since they came out. I haven't read any warning that they need to be replaced but it's many years old and I think a new one may be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. At home with two young boys its always a worry x

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'd use it in the back bedroom, as that is where the boiler is.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Philippa Turner27 June, 2015 10:03

    I would be taking it with me on our holiday in a caravan that way I know our carbon monoxide is in working order and we can all sleep safely at night.

    ReplyDelete
  33. At home - can't be too careful

    ReplyDelete
  34. we would put this in the lounge at home x

    ReplyDelete
  35. I would put this in our kitchen, we've just moved house and need one near our gas boiler and oven!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd use this at home to make sure me and my family were safe

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'd use it at home

    ReplyDelete
  38. It would be for my son's first home because he hasn't got an alarm yet

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'd use it at home in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Elisabeth Ries01 July, 2015 21:53

    We have an old gas fire in the living room - so it would be used in there.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Definitely in my home, it's a necessity x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'd use it at home in our bedroom as that's where our boiler is housed.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would use it at home and whilst on holiday camping

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would use in the kitchen near the boiler.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I'd install it at my parents home, they are elderly and it would give me peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  46. At home in the hallway

    ReplyDelete
  47. At home, keep meaning to get one always a worry

    ReplyDelete
  48. I would put it in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  49. Just the thing to take on a pod holiday with the small gas stoves.

    ReplyDelete
  50. At home its a great device potentially life saving

    ReplyDelete
  51. In a caravan when we go on holiday to North Devon.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I would use it at home because my current alarm has an expiry date of October 2015

    ReplyDelete
  53. At home in the hallway
    Jade H

    ReplyDelete
  54. I would put it in the hallway, I have one in the kitchen already

    ReplyDelete
  55. I would put it upstairs as I have one downstairs

    ReplyDelete
  56. We will take it on holiday with us.

    ReplyDelete
  57. I'd use it at home in my lounge as during the winter I quite often fall asleep in front of the gas fire.

    ReplyDelete
  58. At home - I need an alarm but constantly fail to buy one!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. As suggested as it is portable anywhere that my family stay and sleep this will be coming with me :0)

    ReplyDelete
  60. I would use this in our home but then also take it away with us if we go away.

    ReplyDelete
  61. at home and at holiday as well

    ReplyDelete
  62. I would use it in the home. Trevor Linvell

    ReplyDelete
  63. I'd use this at home....above the boiler in the landing xo

    ReplyDelete
  64. just had a boiler check and they said I need one, so for the home.

    ReplyDelete
  65. As I already have one of these at home I would use this as a spare to take on holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Tracey Tedford04 July, 2015 19:56

    My son's girlfriend has just had gas fitted in her flat so I would give it to her as we do not have gas

    ReplyDelete
  67. At home in the lounge as we still have a back boiler

    ReplyDelete
  68. At home in the kitchen near the gasburners

    ReplyDelete
  69. At home near our boiler upstairs!

    ReplyDelete
  70. would use at the camping pod we holiday at, as has a gas fire inside

    ReplyDelete
  71. would use it at home & away!! Most likely in the hallway @home

    ReplyDelete